Listed below are some frequently asked questions about the surveyingstuff.com site. If your question is not answered here, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a personal response.
1. Do you produce a catalogue?
We constantly review prices to ensure we remain competitive, and we change our Special Offers on a regular basis: we therefore choose to promote exclusively through our website to ensure that the information we provide on specification, price and availability is always current. Promoting through our website also has the advantage of keeping our costs down, allowing us to pass those cost savings on to our customers by offering better pricing. Our full product range is always available for viewing on the website, and most entries have a link where you can download further information in PDF format.
2. How do I buy a product from the website? There are several ways to find the product you are looking for on the site. You can use the category list to search by product group and also by price and manufacturer. Once you’ve found what you are looking for, it’s easy - just click to add the items to your basket, go to Checkout, and enter your payment information on our secure payment page.
3. Are there any other ways to order?
As well as ordering through the website using our secure payment system, you can buy direct from our trade counter in Gateshead (click here to view map) or order over the phone by calling our Sales team on +44 (0)191 478 9333. We are happy to offer additional advice and product information should you need it (if you plan to call in person, we recommend that you phone for stock availability information before starting your journey).
4. I can't find what I want on the website. What do I do? If you can't find what you're looking for using the categories, try the search facility instead. If this does not give you the right result, you may have used too narrow a search term and should try widening your search (for example, if you are looking for 'Leica optical levels', try searching for 'optical level' instead). If you still can't find what you're looking for, then give us a call: if we don't have it, we'll do our very best to source it for you.
5. I’ve found the ideal instrument but it is out of my budget/I only need it for a short time. Can I hire it? Yes, many of the products on the site are also available to hire. This is illustrated by the presence of an ‘available to hire’ button alongside the ‘buy now’ button located beneath each product description. You can view the product hire information on the site then email us with your request. Alternatively, you can phone and speak to a member of our sales team who will be happy to advise you.
6. Why am I having problems at the Checkout? We have found that some security measures can interfere with our Checkout. If you are having problems, try altering your Security settings using the Internet Options Control Panel (if you are on a corporate network, you should speak with your System Administrator before doing so). Remember to use only the links within the Checkout window to navigate, and not the Back and Forward buttons on your browser (this is especially important when the Sagepay VPS server is processing the final transaction). If you continue to experience problems, we will of course be happy to take your order by telephone: please call our Sales team on +44 (0) 191 478 9333.
7. Can I pay by cheque?
There are several ways to pay for your order with us:
|Ways to pay||Online||On the phone||In person|
|Credit/debit card *||●||●||●|
People who wish to pay for phone orders by cheque must do so on a pro forma basis. Orders will be dispatched once payment has been received and cleared through the bank. Cheques should be made payable to Lord Technical Ltd.
* We accept Mastercard, Visa, Visa Debit, Visa Electron, Delta, Switch, Maestro and Solo.
8. Is shopping at surveyingstuff.com secure? Yes. You can be confident that our transaction process is among the safest around. We use sagepay.com, one the UK's leading payment service providers, who employ the highest levels of physical and technological security including 128-bit encrypted sessions and government approved firewalls. To find out more about our secure transaction process, click here.
9. How long will it take for my purchase to be delivered? When you view the product descriptions in the online store the delivery timescales are clearly shown. Providing we receive your order by 3:30 PM, Monday - Friday (excluding bank holidays), products labelled ‘next day' will be despatched the same day, for next working day delivery. We use a national carrier for most deliveries though smaller and lighter items may be delivered by Royal Mail. Products with a longer lead-time are labelled with average delivery times. We will contact you in the event of a change to expected delivery timescales.
10. In delivery terms, what do you consider to be "mainland UK"? Our standard delivery terms (free delivery on orders over £150 nett, and a set charge of £10 below this figure) apply to mainland UK deliveries only. This excludes deliveries to Northern Ireland, the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, the Isles of Scilly, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands. Delivery charges for these locations are quotable upon request.
11. I live in the Republic of Ireland. Can I purchase from surveyingstuff.com? Overseas orders (including the Republic of Ireland) can be made over the phone and we will give you a quotation for delivery, the cost of which will depend on the size and weight of the goods ordered (we will usually give you a number of options of differing price and service types). We do not look to profit from deliveries, only to cover our costs: for example, a DISTO Laser Distance Measurer would cost us an additional £5.00 to deliver to ROI - and as the product qualifies for free UK delivery, we would ask you only to cover that difference. If you are VAT registered in Ireland, then we will require your VAT registration number (format IE xxxxxxxx) for our documentation and your order will be zero rated for UK VAT; if you are an individual or a business which is not registered for VAT, then VAT will be charged on the order (including any carriage charges) at the UK rate.
12. I live in another EU member state. Can I purchase from surveyingstuff.com? The procedure for EU member states is the same as the Republic of Ireland, in that orders can be made over the telephone (dialling code is +44, and drop the first zero, i.e. +44 191 478 9333): we will quote for delivery, giving you a number of options of differing price and service types. If you are VAT registered in your own member state, then we will require your VAT registration number for our documentation and your order will be zero rated for UK VAT; if you are an individual or a business which is not registered for VAT, then VAT will be charged on the order (including any carriage charges) at the UK rate.
13. I live in the Tyne & Wear area. Do I need to pay for delivery? Although delivery is free on orders over £150, if you are ordering cheaper items or happen to be in the area, it may be more cost-effective to arrange to collect your order from our trade counter. Just check the box when you enter your delivery details to indicate that you would like to collect and our staff will get it ready for you. Your confirmation email will let you know what time your order will be ready. We do ask that you collect goods within three days of your order unless otherwise arranged.
14. If I am having a purchase delivered, is there anything I can do to help your carrier to find me? How nice of you to ask. If you can supply a contact telephone number, that will be a big help in the unlikely event that our carrier runs into any difficulty. And remember that our carrier will need someone to sign for the package upon delivery; we do try and accommodate requests such as "please leave with number 10", but remember that even in cases where someone other than the customer is to receive the goods, the carrier will still require a signature.
15. What will I do if my purchase arrives damaged? Accidents do happen, so if your instrument arrives and it is damaged, simply return it to us within seven days and we’ll send you a replacement. However, you must call us beforehand to obtain a returns authorisation number. We recommend that you inspect your goods as soon as they arrive to ensure that there are no defects.
15. Why does my instrument need to be calibrated? Many of the products on our site are capable of producing measurements to a high degree of accuracy. To maintain their accuracy and effectiveness, most instruments need to be calibrated periodically. Calibration is strongly recommended for safety equipment such as gas detectors and cable locators, as well as any precision measuring instruments. As an additional service to our customers, when an instrument is due for calibration we will send a reminder at no extra charge and no obligation. Although we recommend that you accept these calibration reminders, you can choose to opt out at any time.